Saturday, December 30, 2006
IOU a cap
Thursday we drove to Leavenworth (not Kansas) to do a little cross-country skiing. The camera stayed in the car while we skiied (not intentionally) so I only have this twilight shot to share. Not only was it a day of clear, cold, sunshine -- it also was a day with a long car ride and another driver. So, I finished the cap for my father-in-law.
Presenting the "cap that matches the Endpaper Mitts". I am chagrinned to notice (only as I post these pictures) that rather than reversing all the colors, I only changed the color of the ribbing. Still, I'm happy with how it turned out. As the wearer has a relatively small head for an adult, and I intend it for indoor wear, I made it smallish (21") and not very deep.
I'm quite proud of the spiral at the top -- I didn't chart this out, but meditated on it as I knit toward the decreases. It's not perfect, but I find it attractive.
Like the mitts, this is made with Blue Sky Alpaca and Silk - about 150 stitches around on US 2 needles (US 0 for the ribbing). It used less than a skein of each color. I bought 4 skeins of yarn altogether for this project, and have a fair amount leftover, but not a full skein of either color.