Counting Pane Cast On

Rowan Felted Tweed
A few days ago, a box arrived from Webs. This is the yarn I'm using for my son's Counting Pane Afghan. Well, the yarn I'm using, except for two skeins of "rage" which are on back-order. Rage is a red color, which I think you'll agree, is needed in this mix. It will represent factors of three in this afghan, so it'll show up in quite a few squares. The blue color will represent "one" so it'll be in every square. "Carbon" is the blue-gray color - there are five skeins which will be use to border all the squares, and then the whole afghan. I had hoped it would be darker. I'm afraid there's not enough contrast with the blue. My daughter, who has a pretty good color sense, tells me it'll be OK. We'll see. The gold color will represent factors of two, so it'll be the other strong color presence in the afghan.

As you might surmise from my color discussion, this is a mathematical afghan. Each number, from 1 to 100 has a square. Each square is made up of colors which represent any factors between one and ten. I think this will appeal to my son. I like the idea too - it's one of several art/math knitted pieces by Pat Ashforth and Steve Plummer. Their Etsy shop profile has some nice information if you're interested.

I've already cast on - pictures of that later. This yarn is on the light side for an afghan or blanket (con). It is soft (pro). I'm worried that it'll turn out too small (con), but I think I'll like how it looks (pro). The votes aren't all counted on this one.

Comments

Popular Posts