Textiles from Thailand and India

Instead of saying tomorrow, I should learn to say "next time". I promised a look at textile gifts from India and Thailand, and it's taken me longer than I expected to take pictures and do this post.

My daughter recently returned from three weeks in Thailand and India. It was so great to have her back home & hear all about the wonderful things she saw and did. She'd been with a church group, and visited refugee camps, orphanages, and schools. But she also rode an elephant and brought home some fun gifts. I think I've raised her right, because my gifts were all textile related.

Textiles
This lovely scarf came from Thailand.
Textiles
My gift from India was this big length of fabric.
Textiles
This is the end of the long piece of yardage. The dark blue part looks like it was dip dyed.
textiles
This is the border that runs all along the side of the piece.

It's a large piece of light-weight fabric. I'm musing on what I should do with it. It's very long - so there's plenty to work with. I am thinking a skirt, something full but not voluminous. Any thoughts?

Finally, she bought herself a textile gift.
textiles
Here she is (in the middle) with some friends in their Indian finery. I think the girls' clothes are called salwar-kameez - a tunic over pants. My daughter picked a cotton tie-dye. It's not fancy, but she looks great in it. And we've had fun looking at the hand-made fabric. I still need to finish the ends of her scarf, and the threads that tied the tie-dye were still in place when she got dressed that morning. Here are some details of the fabric:
textiles
I think the light spots look like little volcanoes.
textiles
I think these textile gifts are so beautiful and none of them were expensive. We'll all enjoy them for many years.

Next post (see, I do learn sometimes): something is finished!

Comments

Popular Posts