May I present the Macaron Mittens? So called because they match these slippers. More importantly, they match the hat that matches the slippers. (See Thorpe hat posts here.)
I started these early last week, and then had two sick days at the end of the week. The first sick day was a day of bad t.v. interspersed with naps -- no knitting. The second day, I was recovered enough to be a bit bored, and finished the second mitten. I used leftover Pastaza yarn from the slippers -- leftovers after using leftover for the hat. For a recipe, I used Mittens 101, by Kate Atherley, from Knitty. If I had these to do again, and was making them when I had a bit more on the ball, I'd make a thumb gusset, instead of the slit style thumb these have -- I think that fits better. I made garter stitch cuffs, which are NOT what the pattern calls for, but surprisingly fit quite well.
The color blocking is partly a result of using up leftovers, but it's kind of fun, even when not necessary. Like the hat, they'll be especially enjoyed at Shakespeare in the Snow, coming up in just a few weeks.