Knit by Faith, not by Sight



IMG_4067
With faith, in the pattern and in my calculations, based on a swatch or two, I finished the Whispy Cardigan last night.  Before washing, it didn't much resemble the lovely drapey cardigans in the pattern pictures.

Knitting with this stiff, lace-weight yarn has been difficult.  I had to wash my swatches rather harshly to get a fabric I liked.  Because of this, I had to knit according to the calculations I'd made from the swatch.  I calculated both the row & stitch gauge, and used those numbers, times the inch measurements of the pattern, to adapt this pattern, written for wool yarn, to this linen string.


IMG_4081
IMG_4083
And sure enough, after washing, I was left with the Whispy cardigan I was hoping for.  Except for one small problem.  The linen yarn wasn't easy to knit.  It's not resilient.  I often found I'd inadvertently dropped a stitch.  Unfortunately, two of the stitches I'd dropped didn't make themselves known until after my sweater had gone through the wash a couple of times.

Then, I found this:
IMG_4068

There were two of these, one on the body of the sweater, another on one of the sleeves.  A true perfectionist would have unraveled and reknit.  I, however, used a crochet hook to reloop the stitch to the point I assume it was dropped.  Then I used yarn and duplicate stitch to anchor the stitch in the garment.  It ends up looking like a decreased stitch.  Given the nubby and variegated look of this yarn, I'd dare you to find it.  Except I think it would be more polite of you not to look.

I made this sweater to wear over t-shirts and tanks in the summer.  I wanted something that wouldn't add a layer of heat, but would add a layer of style.  I tried to wear my new sweater yesterday over a tank, and found that a little skin showed about my underarm.  I don't think it'll bother me in the summer, but mid-October, it looked a little odd, and felt a little cool.  So I wore my new Whispy over a long-sleeved t-shirt.  Not really a good look, but I'm afraid it's the best I can do till I bring this back out in April or May.
IMG_4075
I don't think this is the most flattering shot (translate this to mean, "I hope I really look better in this than the picture shows."), but I'm including it, because I know it helps me to select (or not select) patterns when I can seem them on different sized and shaped bodies.  So I'll take one for the team ;-)

Details:

Whispy Cardigan by Hannah Fettig
  • Euroflax Milan, color Granite.  Two cones @ 100 g., 625 yards. 
  • US Size 4 & 2 needles (mostly 4)
  • Modifications:  added roughly two inches to length
Next summer, I'll know better how well I like this sweater.  But overall, I'm pleased.  It turned out pretty much as I expected.  Quite frankly, when I ordered the yarn, I thought it was more black with natural, when in reality it's more navy with natural.   I wouldn't necessarily recommend anyone else knit this sweater in linen.  I don't like knitting with linen.  But I think a feather-light linen sweater will be just the ticket when the mercury rises next spring and summer. 



Comments

  1. It looks lovely, hanging there in your tree -- and on you, too! I think your "fix" is the way to go. Only YOU will know (and I'd never look). You'll love having this one ready when things warm up again next spring.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts