What the Hawk Knits



When I saw this yarn on Yarn Folk's facebook page, this song came to mind (I think this home-grown video version is really cute).  I couldn't resist.  I called Ann and in two days, the yarn was in my mailbox.

Untitled

It's Oink Pigments' Slime Time Worsted, and currently out of stock both on their site, and according to my friend Bev, at Yarn Folk as well.

My friend Kym at Stepping Away from the Edge recently made several iterations of Barley.  It looked like a great little hat.  My son had mentioned (in a hinting sort of way) that he'd misplaced his favorite hat* -- I had this great yarn -- the Seahawks were playing well -- it seemed meant to be.

So I took a little time away from my mom's Christmas gift (I'm back at it, Mom) to knit three of these.
Untitled

This one went to Sam in Baltimore.

Untitled

It was knit to have more slouch (adding an inch before decreases start for the crown).  I knit another, which I didn't photograph, exactly as written.  It went to my mom, as a peace offering for STILL waiting (and to keep her warm on her morning walks).  The last, knit one inch less than the pattern calls for (before decreasing for the crown) for my husband, who wanted a more traditional watch cap/beanie hat.

This is my husband's hat, and shows the garter stitch panel which isn't visible in the other pictures. 

Barley Hat
  • Oink Pigments worsted, 100% superwash wool, Slime Time color. 
  • 2 skeins made 3 hats with a bit left over.
  • I used size 6 (US) needles to get the gauge the pattern suggests for size 8 needles.  Size 4 for the ribbing.
  • I experimented with tubular cast on for two of the hats, but in the end I think I like long-tail cast on (the one my grandma taught me) best for this kind of hat.
If you're one of the people who reads my blog and thinks "I should learn to knit" or "I should start knitting again," this is a good pattern to start with.  There are tutorials for the techniques, and when you're done, you've got a hat.  

Go Hawks!

*In general, the knitting mother does not like to hear about missing hats (or gloves, or sweaters, or ...).  But this hat had been worn for some years.  Nothing lasts forever.  Who hasn't lost a favorite hat or pair of gloves before?  Also, it's fun to think of that Seahawk hat on the other coast.  

Comments

  1. I recently made this Barley hat too! I really like! It was my first hat. Knitting in the round is not something I had done before... You see, I am a beginner (under a year). :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. such a cool colourway, and both hats are awesome!! you totally picked the right patterns for that yarn.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts