Endearment

IMG_3140
I'm not sure I have enough terms of endearment for this sweater -- I LOVE it.  I love the beautiful design and well written pattern by Hanna Maciejewska.   I'm smitten by the yarn, Bello by The Plucky Knitter.  I'm fascinated by the double-knit cuffs and hem.  It's a good thing I love the young woman I knit it for, or it would be in my sweater drawer right now.

This sweater is knit top-down.  Since the hem and cuffs (and neck edge) are double knit, the only finishing was to weave in ends and sew on buttons.  Since the yarn is so soft and fine (and because it's not a bad idea anyway), I decided to sew ribbons to the front bands.
IMG_3118
Some time ago I bought some of these beautiful ribbons from Anna Maria Horner's website.  Funny thing -- I usually only buy yarn with a project in mind.  But these ribbons -- I saw them, and I had to have them.  I was thinking, in a general way, about sweater finishing, but mostly, I was just buying something beautiful -- in two yard lengths.  They're much nicer than any ribbon I've bought before -- lightweight and silky (made of polyester).
I'd kind of forgotten about this ribbon stash, and I bought some blue grosgrain ribbon at the fabric store when I bought the buttons for the sweater.  But when I got it home, it just didn't seem right, and by then, I HAD remembered these ribbons.
IMG_3115
I chose the narrowest one I had, which didn't actually match, but felt to me like it suited this sweater.
IMG_6856
I sewed the ribbon in by hand, reversing it for the second band.  Then sewed the buttons through both the sweater and the ribbon.  I decided not to sew buttonholes in the ribbon, but just sewed the ribbon beside the buttonholes, so both front bands are reinforced and won't stretch out of shape.
IMG_3139

Endearment

  • by Hanna Maciejewska
  • 4 skeins Plucky Knitter Bello.  fingering weight, 55% merino wool, 45% cashmere, 380 yards/skein, color Betrothed
  • US size 3 needles, size 2 for the bands
  • Anna Maria Horner Ribbon
  • LaMode buttons, style 3966
  • On Ravelry here
  • for my daughter
IMG_3142

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts