A Year of Techniques: Alex

Alex the Mouse
So I'll admit, I wasn't so excited about Alex when I saw the pattern.  Maybe for any of a number of reasons, but mostly because I didn't have a small person in mind who might want him (or her, she could totally be a her).
Alex the Mouse
But I knit along anyway, because there were a couple of techniques I wanted to practice.  This pattern uses the pin-hole cast on, which I first learned as Emily Ocker's circular cast-on.  It also uses an applied i-cord edging to join the front and back pieces of the ear.  It turns out, that was the novel technique I don't remember using before.

Now that he's done, I love him (or her, I mean, those eyes).  And I realize I have a couple of options for giving him (or her) away.

The pattern is by Ella Austin, who has quite a few cute knitted toy patterns.  It's not my favorite pattern.  There were a few details missing, like when (or whether) to cast off the leg stitches, and I would have liked a little more information about how to sew the pieces on.  But the finished toy is really cute, and just right for a real child to really play with.   The size is right, big enough to be a friend, but small enough to hug and carry around.

 My knitting isn't perfect on this either.  The fair-isle (the purple and green triangles) on the body turned out too loose where I moved from needle to needle.   You can actually see the white stuffing through the stitches in a few places. 
Alex the Mouse
But I do love that swirl at the back of the head!

I bought the yarn as a kit from Mason-Dixon Knitting. This Coop Knits Socks Yeah! is a very nice yarn. I love the tiny flecks of color within color.

I knit as written, except I think I swapped the green and purple, because I wanted the nose to be lighter, rather than darker (why?  I now have no idea).  Also, instead of buttons for eyes, I made lazy daisy embroidered flowers.  Sewn or embroidered eyes are safer for little children's toys.  And they're cute too.

Comments

Popular Posts