I [heart] my Clapotis

It's finished and I love it!

My Clapotis - as designed by Kate Gilbert

Tilli Tomas yarns -- 2 skeins Rockstar and 1 skein Pure and Simple, knit alternately -- two rows of Rockstar, two rows of P&S. Color: Ruby Wine. From Kpixie.com, for my birthday.
Knit on size 6 Bryspun needles, to a slightly finer gauge than the pattern calls for (but perfect for this yarn).

This Clapotis is one repeat narrower, and 1 repeat longer, than specified in the pattern. It measures out to about 20 by 55 inches, which is roughly the dimensions of the original.

I used nearly every speck of yarn, in fact, there's a last little bit that is only Rock Star. This spot can be found if you know to look for it, but doesn't jump out at you, like the difference between the two yarns did in my earlier attempts at using the yarns together. If you want it to really work out right with these yarns, knit the same number of repeats in the "straight" section as the pattern calls for, and knit one repeat less in the first section when you establish the width.


Here it is laid out for a steam blocking (back side shown). Since the yarn tag said to "dry clean only", I misted the scarf with water, laid it out carefully, and then used a press cloth to steam it a bit. The color from this yarn bled pretty badly onto my press cloth, so today I very carefully hand-washed it with synthrapol, rinsed well, and then washed with a no-rinse wool wash. It's laid out again to dry.


I was so excited to have it finished, I wore it last night to the Newboys concert (that's where the top picture is from, too). I'll admit to feeling a little guilty about this -- I have yet to darken the door of the grocery store since my surgery (my staples just came out yesterday), but I went to the concert. We've had tickets since way before I knew I'd need surgery, and though I slept in this morning to make up for it, it was worth it.

The scarf is fantastic! Officially it's meant to go with my black winter coat, and it'll be great for that. But it's just fun to wear. The silk and the beads have a kind of "swoosh" to them, a silky weightiness. It drapes beautifully, and stays in place amazingly well -- a factor of the not so slick surface of the spun silk and the heaviness of the beads, I think.




Finally, spring is here! These are some apricot blossoms from our back yard, earlier this week. Hurray!

Comments

Popular Posts