Hand in Glove

Garter Stitch Gloves

Actually, more like hands in gloves. They're finished - my garter stitch gloves for Liz. I actually finished them a couple of days ago, but had a terrible time scheduling my model. (Between high school and ballet, this was a bust.) I eventually dug out a rather clunky tripod and took the photos on my own hands. Ignore the dog hair on the ones above. The color on this shot is pretty accurate.

Garter Stitch Gloves
But I like this detail of the palms, even though it looks gaudier than the gloves are "in person".

Custom-Fit, Sideways-Knit
Garter-Stitch Gloves
  • designed by Joan Goldstein
  • Knit using Mountain Colors Mountain Goat yarn, 1 skein of the Sapphire Trail colorway (55% mohair, 45% wool, 230 yards, with some left over). The pattern calls for Mountain Colors Bearfoot 3-ply yarn. I think this slightly lighter, softer, and less fuzzy yarn would be a better choice. Still, the Mountain Goat yarn is very nice. My model finds it a bit itchy.
  • Knit on US 2 needles, 6 stitches/inch.
  • Yarn purchased at Witty Knitters, in Bigfork, MT.
  • Pattern available from Joan Goldstein, P O Box 2556,
    Bigfork MT 59911, h-jgold(at)bigsky(dot)net, for $8.
Joan (who gave me permission to post her contact information) asked me to say that this pattern is for experienced knitters. I'd agree. It's not hard, but for two reasons, I wouldn't recommend it for a rank beginner. First, because it's a custom-fit pattern, each pattern is drafted for your very own hands. This is cool, but it means, in effect, that you're the pattern's test knitter. My pattern was very good, but not perfect. Joan is very good as well, responding overnight to my questions. It helped that I had enough experience to know when to count and try again, and when to give up and send an e-mail. Secondly, there's an awful lot of provisional cast-on and garter stitch kitchener in these gloves (not to mention short-rows). They're seamless, but maybe not a good choice for someone who doesn't like finishing techniques. I think anyone who has successfully knit socks could probably handle these, if they wanted.

Those caveats understood, you should also know that I thought these were a lot of fun to knit. They went fast and I found the grafting as you go along rather satisfying.

Good thing I enjoyed them, because now my son wants a pair. He'd like them in his school colors, which are orange and black. I'm thinking of this Colinette Jitterbug yarn, in the Safari color. Anyone have any other suggestions for a heavier sock weight (about 350 yards/100 grams) in orange and black?

I contemplated trying to alter my instructions for his hands, but for $3, Joan will supplement my instructions for another size (as long as it's for personal use). That seems well worth it to me.

Comments

Popular Posts