Monday, November 19, 2007
Well, yes and no. I finished the right front of Am Kamin. But somewhere along the line, either my calculations or my knitting is off. I had decided the back of the sweater needed to be 60 rows from the sleeve cast off to the neck, and the front needs to be 58 rows. Somehow, my front is 62 rows long along the raglan edge. So, now I need to correct this, AND do it in such a way that I can make the other side more or less the same. I have some ideas, but it's a good time to let them steep, I think.
If any of you are rooting for this sweater, it's getting less knitting time now that I'm knitting on the afghan, but since I'm not working on the afghan in front of my son, I still need a "public" project. So this is getting at least a few rows most nights.
You can look forward to a photo of the first "strip" of the afghan soon.
We've just finished a difficult week here at Works in Progress. A young man in our church died very tragically early in the week. Not someone anyone in our house is close to, but with many connections to us. It was a sad and very busy week.
This week has started with a happier surprise. I (randomly) won a prize over at Berlin's Whimsy. Berlin/Amber's blog is often a treat. Pictures of the beauty she finds around her, her lovely and creative projects (some knitting, some other needlework), and searingly honest glimpses of her life -- worth a peek if you aren't already there.
Sunday, November 04, 2007
Here it is, cast on -- Counting Pane Afghan. And thanks to my new friend Dannette, I have my final color -- the red shade shown here, Rage (150). Dannette and I met via Ravelry. When she learned I was waiting for a color on back-order, she offered her yarn, which she doesn't need right now. Talk about a friend indeed!
I think the red is just what my color combination needed. The colors are not quite this bright in "real life" but the less bright pictures I took were too dull, so you'll just have to use your imagination.
Friday, November 02, 2007
A few days ago, a box arrived from Webs. This is the yarn I'm using for my son's Counting Pane Afghan. Well, the yarn I'm using, except for two skeins of "rage" which are on back-order. Rage is a red color, which I think you'll agree, is needed in this mix. It will represent factors of three in this afghan, so it'll show up in quite a few squares. The blue color will represent "one" so it'll be in every square. "Carbon" is the blue-gray color - there are five skeins which will be use to border all the squares, and then the whole afghan. I had hoped it would be darker. I'm afraid there's not enough contrast with the blue. My daughter, who has a pretty good color sense, tells me it'll be OK. We'll see. The gold color will represent factors of two, so it'll be the other strong color presence in the afghan.
As you might surmise from my color discussion, this is a mathematical afghan. Each number, from 1 to 100 has a square. Each square is made up of colors which represent any factors between one and ten. I think this will appeal to my son. I like the idea too - it's one of several art/math knitted pieces by Pat Ashforth and Steve Plummer. Their Etsy shop profile has some nice information if you're interested.
I've already cast on - pictures of that later. This yarn is on the light side for an afghan or blanket (con). It is soft (pro). I'm worried that it'll turn out too small (con), but I think I'll like how it looks (pro). The votes aren't all counted on this one.