The Kindness of Strangers



Am Kamin yarn, originally uploaded by phenager.
About a month ago, I realized it was possible that very close to finishing my Am Kamin sweater, I might run out of yarn. This is always disconcerting, but especially since I bought this yarn in 2007 from a store that has since closed. The yarn is Cascade 220, and the color is still in production. But, how to find more yarn of a dye lot long gone?

After some quiet panic, I decided to see what Ravelry could do for me. It turns out, quite a lot. I could search stashes, and even projects, by color and dye lot numbers. There's also a group on Ravelry for people seeking yarn, or hoping to get it rid of some. So, I posted, and I wrote messages to people who just might still have some of this yarn. And one kind knitter, Tracey, had a skein of "my" yarn, and sent it my way. It arrived this weekend, and I don't know that I've ever been so happy to see the right numbers on a yarn label.  Thank you Tracey!!  (Ironically, Tracey's Flickr ID is EvilTracey -- Hah!)

I know all the advice about buying extra yarn, but I will say that I thought I HAD extra yarn. But this project, knitted from a Japanese pattern, altered to fit me, and full of cables & twisted stitches, is just the sort of thing to use more than I expected. What I'll take away from this experience is a new resolve to post dye lots with MY yarns on Ravelry, in hopes of being helpful to someone else, someday.

Now, for something completely different --
Haloscan will be no more, as of February 11. So, I've reverted to Blogger's commenting. That means that comments left on Haloscan have disappeared from my blog, but not my heart. Or my hard drive, for that matter, since I have email copies of comments. I think it may also mean that I've lost the ability to reply to comments personally by email. In the process of cleaning out the Haloscan, I tried a different template -- not sure what I think, except that it's the time of year that I am in the mood for a little change. Depending on when you read this, you may see version 2 or 3 of template changing.

Comments

  1. that's so wonderful that another knitter was able to help you out!! How fantastic. That colour looks gorgeous, by the way.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts