Knit by Faith, not by Sight
With faith, in the pattern and in my calculations, based on a swatch or two, I finished the Whispy Cardigan last night. Before washing, it didn't much resemble the lovely drapey cardigans in the pattern pictures.
Knitting with this stiff, lace-weight yarn has been difficult. I had to wash my swatches rather harshly to get a fabric I liked. Because of this, I had to knit according to the calculations I'd made from the swatch. I calculated both the row & stitch gauge, and used those numbers, times the inch measurements of the pattern, to adapt this pattern, written for wool yarn, to this linen string.
And sure enough, after washing, I was left with the Whispy cardigan I was hoping for. Except for one small problem. The linen yarn wasn't easy to knit. It's not resilient. I often found I'd inadvertently dropped a stitch. Unfortunately, two of the stitches I'd dropped didn't make themselves known until after my sweater had gone through the wash a couple of times.
Then, I found this:
There were two of these, one on the body of the sweater, another on one of the sleeves. A true perfectionist would have unraveled and reknit. I, however, used a crochet hook to reloop the stitch to the point I assume it was dropped. Then I used yarn and duplicate stitch to anchor the stitch in the garment. It ends up looking like a decreased stitch. Given the nubby and variegated look of this yarn, I'd dare you to find it. Except I think it would be more polite of you not to look.
I made this sweater to wear over t-shirts and tanks in the summer. I wanted something that wouldn't add a layer of heat, but would add a layer of style. I tried to wear my new sweater yesterday over a tank, and found that a little skin showed about my underarm. I don't think it'll bother me in the summer, but mid-October, it looked a little odd, and felt a little cool. So I wore my new Whispy over a long-sleeved t-shirt. Not really a good look, but I'm afraid it's the best I can do till I bring this back out in April or May.
I don't think this is the most flattering shot (translate this to mean, "I hope I really look better in this than the picture shows."), but I'm including it, because I know it helps me to select (or not select) patterns when I can seem them on different sized and shaped bodies. So I'll take one for the team ;-)
- Euroflax Milan, color Granite. Two cones @ 100 g., 625 yards.
- US Size 4 & 2 needles (mostly 4)
- Modifications: added roughly two inches to length