A New Twig on the Family Tree

Untitled
I just finished this sweater for a new great-nephew.  I hope to someday get a picture of this sweet new baby in his sweater, but it looks like it'll be a bit before it fits.  He's an Arizona boy, so it will be worn rather sparingly in the evenings in the winter, I suspect.

Knitters details

  • Leaves, or Not by Karen Borrel - a Ravelry download in French or English.  
  • Yarn:  Simpliworsted by HiKoo - 2 skeins color 062 Caramel Macchioto and 1 skein Simply Sage.  55% Merino superwash, 28% Acrylic, 17% Nylon, 140 yards in 100 g.
  • Needle:  US 6
  • Button - a wonderful wood one left over from a Philosopher's Wool kit for a cardigan that was made into a pullover. 
  • modifications and notes:  This yarn was heavy for the pattern - I liked the fabric I got with a #6 needle (I knit loosely, so don't judge your gauge by mine) and cast on for a size 6/12 months (22 inch chest finished sweater).  My sweater turned out to be 24 inches around - a rather generous 12-18 month size, I suspect.  Also, the pickup for the collar says to do 2 stitches for every 3 rows in the stockinette section - which works fine on the "straight" fronts.  When I got to the v-neck, it looked better to pick up every row. 
Leaves, or not
This picture shows how it looked just before I unravelled the last row, having picked up in a 2/3 ratio.  It doesn't lie as smoothly as I wanted.  So I tried again.

This was my first top down raglan sweater - it was easy, but would have been easy the other way round too, I think.  The shawl collar is nicely designed - the pattern doesn't suggest any wrapping for the short rows, but I used these instructions for Japanese short rows.   I'm not sure it makes a big difference one way or another.  a difference, yes, but not a big one.  

Leaves, Or Not
This may be a new favorite baby sweater.  I could imagine adding little embroidered flowers for a girl.  What's your go-to baby sweater? 

Comments

  1. Ah Pam! This is absolutely stunning! I haven't attempted a sweater yet for my grandson-to-be...but am having fun with monster hats and knitted animals :) Wish we lived closer, I can imagine a beautiful fall day sharing cups of coffee and knitting while getting our long-due chats out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable! There are so many cute baby sweaters out there these days -- each more precious than the last! I love the little leaves -- and the shawl collar! -- on yours. So very sweet.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts