Line Break

IMG_6968
Around Memorial day, my mom and I were browsing in GarenHuis Yarn Studio, a really lovely yarn shop in Holland, MI.  I thought we were just browsing.  We were spending the weekend with my daughter, we'd been to the beach for a while, had lunch, and there was a yarn shop down the street.  Why not?  But my mom was really taken with some of the shawls they had on display.  We started looking at yarn, first solid colors, then combinations of solids, and finally we found this Malabrigo Mechita yarn.  The Cielo y Tierra colorway had all the colors that had been catching my mom's eye.  That was it!  Two skeins of yarn came home with me from Michigan.

Mom's Line break
The yarn has a lot going on, so I was looking for a pattern that had some of the laciness of the shawls my mom admired, but was simple enough for the yarn.  Also, though I think my mom would have been happy with a triangle shawl, I was hoping to do something else.  And so, I chose Line Break, by Veera Välimäki.

IMG_3842

The construction of this shawl made it a fun knit. It starts in the middle of the top edge with only a few stitches, and grows through the eyelet yarn overs. Add in short rows, and you have an asymmetrical, pleasing shape. I left out the final short-row panel before the lacy edging. Every panel took more yarn, and I was pretty sure I wouldn't have enough. And all blocked, it's a nice size as it is.

IMG_3841
It was fun to give it to my mom and take some pictures in her lovely garden, experimenting with ways to wrap this shawl.

Line Break

  • by Veera Välimäki 
  • 2 skeins Malabrigo Mechita, fingering weight, merino wool, colorway 894 Cielo y Tierra
  • Size 6 needles 
  • on Ravelry here
IMG_3846

Comments

  1. Glad you enjoyed your visit - the shawl turned out gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts