A few accessories
Like a lot of knitters, I love it when someone in my family asks for a particular hand-knit. My daughter wanted a scarf (though technically this is a shawl) to wear with her new black coat. She was pretty particular about what she wanted -- especially in regard to the color. Once she saw Hazelknits Zest colorway, that was the end of the color search. Lively DK is the right gauge for this pattern, but heavier (denser) than the Quince Chickadee that the pattern calls for. We are happy with how this turned out, but I think a scarf made of Chickadee would be softer and the long i-cord edge would block out better.
The pattern is Naamah, by Paula Pereira. It is an elongated triangle - almost wing-shaped. I will admit that it was a LOT of twisted ribbing, but the end result is quite effective.
I love this detail of the lacy waves along the "outside" edges. What a treat it was to be together this Thanksgiving and see for myself that the scarf was the right thing with her coat.
I also recently finished a couple of hats. Quite a long time ago I ordered some beautiful yarn from Camellia Fiber Co. in a color called Candy Hearts. It was an unusal for me impulse buy.
It was a bulky, hand-spun skein. I wasn't sure what I could do with it. Then recently I got an email from Camellia Fiber Co. advertising a hat kit with their Patrick yarn.
I knit the black and white Patrick hat first, then knit the same hat with the slightly less bulky Candy Hearts yarn. The hat pattern came with the kit - a pretty standard knit one, purl one beanie, switching to just stockinette once the decreases at the top began. I used some of the leftover yarn from the Naamah shawl to make the pom-pom for the Candy Hearts hat. That hat went back to New York with my daughter and her new scarf.
A note on tools - the wooden needles (size 19!) that came with the Camellia yarn felt awkward to me. I ended up using some size 13 circulars instead. For the pom-pom, I splurged on a Clover pom-pom maker. There are quite a lot of different tools for making pom-poms, including do-it-yourself cardboard ones. This one was one of the easiest I've made. I made an even denser one than the one on the hat, but decided it was too heavy to feel right on top of the hat.
Ravelry links to the scarf, and the hats.
Now back to my regular scheduled cardigan knitting.