There's slow fashion. . .

and then there's me . . .
fullsizeoutput_19937
I think I practice the ssssslllloowwwest fashion.  This is Lerwick.  It was Marie Wallin's design for her Fairisle Club 3.  I ordered this kit in July or August of 2017.   I cast on, a little late for the party, in January of 2018.  And I finished my sweater just in time to take it to New York for Thanksgiving.  (And where it seemed to be always under my coat -- it was SO cold.)
IMG_6729
Here it is in this picture with my daughter (and Lady Liberty) with the mismatched but cozy Torquata scarf.  Did I tell you it was COLD. 

 Of course, it wasn't the only thing I knit over those 11 months.  We traveled a lot this spring and summer, and a fairisle sweater that uses fourteen different colors of Shetland wool, with color changes every row or few rows, does not make for good travel knitting.
fullsizeoutput_19935
But it does make for THIS sweater.

Not a traditional style fairisle sweater, but mostly knit in a traditional way - in the round, with cut steeks.  Here is the body before the main front steek was cut:
IMG_5698

For any non-knitters out there, this is a terrifying and wonderful thing.  Terrifying, because you spend months (MONTHS I tell you) knitting a garment, and then you take a scissors to it.  But wonderful, because when you finish and trim a steek (the place where you cut the sweater, having (usually) added extra stitches for the cutting), you've also taken care of all the loose ends of ALL those colors.

On the sleeves, I took a page from Ann Shayne's book, and spit spliced the color changes. 

fullsizeoutput_198c6
This was knit according to the pattern instructions except that I made the sleeves the right length for my arms (shorter).  The colors are as given in the kit.  I was afraid I would run out of some of the colors (moss green, sholmit, damask) so I ordered some extra skeins from another seller.  But though I used most of the moss and damask, I didn't need the extra yarn in the end.

My shawl pin (wooden fastener) is from Hannah's Ideas in Wood.  I notice now she has some gorgeous buttons - that might be a good alternative, with a crocheted loop, for fastening this sweater. 
2jDV+riWSw+kaIYnKL7K8Q

Lerwick

  • Designed by Marie Wallin and sold as Fairisle Club 3
  • Yarn is Jamieson's Shetland Spindrift, 100% Pure Shetland Wool, 105 m, 25 g.  24 skeins, 14 colors.  
  • US size 3 needles for the body - size 2 for the seed stitch edgings
  • Size S/M (to fit 31-38" bust, measuring about 48")
  • My Ravelry page (with a few more details).  
As I write this, I'm wearing a vest I knit over 20 years ago.  I hope I'm still wearing Lerwick years from now too. 


Comments

Popular Posts