Knitorious!

Happy birthday RBG!  I was feeling guilty that I was taking so long to post about this sweater, but since today is Ruth Bader Ginsburg's 86th birthday, maybe this is just right.
fullsizeoutput_19f41
This is Park Williams' The Knitorious RBG sweater.  Knit for my daughter, an RBG fan, and second year law student.
IMG_7139
This sweater, another good suggestion by my friend (and Sophia's future mother-in-law) Andrea, seemed like a good idea.  But I like it even more than I expected.  I liked that it was a tribute to Ginsburg's collars, while still looking like a "real" sweater, rather than a costume piece.  I wasn't sure about the cropped length, the big balloon sleeves, or the fullness just under the collar.
n%AUtgdqTDqzHAoDTkpD8Q
But it turns out, I like all these things.  The sleeves, which I modified slightly, are wonderful.  They did use up a lot of yarn, but they feel delicious (I did try this one on before it went in the mail).  And as Sophia's friend J remarked, they're like a judge's robe.  And they're kind of in.  I made the sweater cropped, but longer than the pattern instructs, on request.  The sleeves are shorter (by 2.5 inches) and the body longer (by 2") than the pattern indicates.  I did a tubular bind off instead of the double ribbed collar specified. 
IMG_7144
Best of all, when the sweater went off to law school in New York, it was a hit -- both with Sophie, and her classmates.

The Knitorious RBG

  •  Pattern from Park Williams' Ravelry store
  • The Plucky Knitter Primo Worsted, 200 yard skeins, 75% sw merino, 20% cashmere, 5% nylon, 6 skeins Morticia, and 1 skein Powdered Sugar (I LOVE this yarn for a sweater - it feels SO good, and I like the semi-solid shading.)
  • Size M
  • US 7 and 5 needles (and US 2 for the sleeve cuffs)
  • On Ravelry here

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts