Beld

fullsizeoutput_1a09b
I bought the Acadia yarn for this sweater way back in 2016 -- on my wedding anniversary, though I think that was probably not a significant detail (to the sweater -- of course it is significant to me).  I purchased 7 skeins, which were 1015 yards.  The pattern said I needed 1000 yards for my size.  I started knitting THREE years later -- almost so long that I wondered if I still wanted this sweater.  But here it is, and I think I'm glad I made it.

Luckily, my local yarn shop still had some of the same batch of yarn -- same dyelot and everything -- because I needed two more skeins.  I would have needed (and I bought) 3, but my arms are short.  I finished this sweater by shortening the sleeves by two inches.  I thought I had adjusted for that in the knitting, but when I washed and blocked the sweater, everything relaxed.  This was good for the fit of the body, but not for the arms.  I know that truly long sleeves look nice in photos, but they aren't very handy when you're loading the dishwasher.  Being able to buy more yarn made me wonder either what was wrong with me, to buy such an unpopular yarn?  OR, what was wrong with people -- who wouldn't want this gorgeous yarn?

Here are some details of Bonne Marie Burn's design that I like.
dAdj4PAfQui3dbZV%GfgEQ
The neckband -- the sweater actually starts in the middle of this back neck piece.  Everything hangs from this.
fullsizeoutput_1a09a
Really nice raglan and neckband shaping.
HF2rd1UxRtaUyjS%3th6Yw
Eyelets -- lace, but not a bit frilly.

We had a long (I mean LOOONG) drive to Ashland, Oregon, for Memorial Day weekend.  That's when I shortened the sleeves and wove in the ends.  It turned out to be surprisingly cool there.  Plus the theaters were cool.  So I wore the sweater.  I just didn't bring the right things to wear it with, thus the weird combination up top.  It's a topic for another post, but if you enjoy theater, the Oregon Shakespeare Festival is worth the trip.  We ditched the Bard this visit and saw three contemporary plays.  My favorite was Cambodian Rock Band.  But yes, that's another post.

Beld

  • Designed by Bonne Marie Burns (Chic Knits - though this pattern isn't on the website) 
  • Fibre Co. Acadia Yarn - 9 skeins, Summersweet color.  60% wool, 20% alpaca, 20% silk 
  • Size 5 and 3 needles
  • On Ravelry here

 

Comments

Popular Posts