Navelli Tee

fullsizeoutput_1a516
It's not often a knit a very new pattern.  I usually have yarn and projects lined up for months if not years.  But this one jumped the queue.  I liked it.  A lot.  I bought the pattern.  I ordered yarn from South Africa.  And I started knitting.

And now I'm done.  I still like this design.  I like my sweater.  Time will tell how wearable I find a cropped sweater of wool and linen with short sleeves.

To be honest, I've loved a LOT of Caitlin Hunter's (aka Boyland Knitworks) designs.  I think with this sweater, I finally got over the idea that they might be too "young" for me.  Maybe, maybe not, but I'm not getting younger, so if I want to wear one, then now is as good a time as any.

In looking through Boyland designs on Ravelry, I tried to think about what particular things I liked.  I realized I was attracted to somewhat rustic, speckled solids like the ones from Yama Yarns.  I'd been noticing these yarns on Instagram as well.  So, I woke up early one Saturday and ordered yarn.  In four colors, actually.  I knew I wanted the main color to be blue and the contrast to be the dark brown Ursus color.  I had thought I wanted the background to the colorwork to be Copper Chai.  But when I went online that morning, I was also attracted to the Khaki color.  So I ordered that too, and I'm glad I did, since that's the combination I eventually decided on.
Yama yarn
The recommended ease on this sweater is between 4 and 15 inches.  My sweater has somewhere close to the 15 inches of ease recommended.  I have an Eileen Fisher summer linen sweater that has similar proportions that I like and wear often.  If I am going to wear something this oversized, it has to be cropped.  Otherwise, it looks dumpy, and shapeless.  I have another sweater (Cascade) that is oversized but more standard length.  It's a beautiful knitted piece, but it doesn't do anything for me.  I am happy with the length of this sweater - cropped, but not too. 

I love the colorwork border, and the rusty specks that bring the brown tones of the Ursus and Khaki yarns into the blue. 

+wJjhrzzSn6qTy34OEH5wA

Summer is still holding on here in Eastern Washington, with 90 degree days this week. I wore my new sweater on a day trip to Spokane for some appointments. Yes, I was a little warm, but I loved wearing this sweater.

Navelli Tee

  • Designed by Caitlin Hunter of Boyland Knitworks
  • Yama Yarn, Merino Linen Singles:  90% South African Merino, 10% Linen, 394 yds/100 grams.  Colors Old Blue, Khaki, Ursus.  
  • Size 5 (51") to fit 38" 
  • US 5 and US 3 needles
  • On Ravelry here

Comments

  1. Anonymous3:21 PM

    They are all works of art but this one is Absolutely your best yet!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts