More branches on the family tree

 

 

Our family tree has been growing branches - both our two were married within a year of each other. So yes, we are the people who have had two weddings during this pandemic. I've thought about starting a support group. There were date changes, venue changes, emails un-inviting guests (most of whom took this with good grace and even kindness), extensive measuring of table placement, custom masks, and in the end, two beautiful weddings of two lovely couples.

Sophie and Tim were married in our back yard last August. 

And Sam and Carley had a very small ceremony in May, in Hood River. 

Both weddings were beautiful.

We are so happy to have Tim and Carley as part of our family.

But weddings do mean presents. We had an easy time with a gift for Sophie and Tim, but Sam and Carley at first didn't want anything. Which just felt wrong, not of them, but for Chuck and I, not to celebrate with a gift. But then Carley got back to me - maybe I would make them something?  A blanket?

And this is what they chose! Untitled 

Tree Rings, designed by Andrea Rangel, from Brooklyn Tweed's Wool People, Volume 6. 

I've long admired these shawl-like blankets that I associate with Brooklyn Tweed - a shawl-like piece of knitting, made blanket big by using heavier yarn and made interesting with a tweedy, textured yarn choice.

 They chose the color "Wool Socks" which was out of stock on the Brooklyn Tweed website when I went to order. So then I thought local (sort of) and ordered the yarn from Tolt Yarn and Wool, a store I hope to visit some day. And boy, am I glad I ordered from them. The pattern called for 13 skeins of yarn (which is a lot) and in a fit of optimism, that's all I ordered.  But then, since it was a blanket, and blankets don't really need to "fit", I chose my gauge and needle size based on the fabric I liked, without measuring. So yes, my blanket ended up a little bigger. And yes, I needed more yarn. Which I ordered twice, because I was SURE one more skein would be enough. And it almost was. 

Till it wasn't.

Luckily, they had more, both times. And so I finished that interminable border, that I finally did memorize, though I still kept track of the rows.

Unblocked,

Untitled

and one more shot for texture.

 Untitled

And one for fun -

  Untitled

Tree Rings Blanket

  • by Andrea Rangel
  • Brooklyn Tweed Shelter,  American Targhee-Columbia wool, in the Wool Socks color, 15 (!) skeins 
  • US 7 and 10 knitting needles
  • On Ravelry here
  • For Sam and Carley, with love
  • Wedding photo credits: First photo by A. Jo Scott, second by Jen Jones, Hood River.





Comments

  1. This is so amazingly beautiful, as is the story. What a lovely gift for a lovely couple. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so amazingly beautiful, as is the story. What a lovely gift for a lovely couple. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Pam! It's just beautiful! Such a lovely knit -- and such a lovely, growing family for you. XOXO

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts