Amsterdam: A Knitter's Souvenir

 Way back in 2023, I visited Stephen & Penelope in Amsterdam. And of course, I bought some yarn. I can't find a picture of the yarn in the skein. It was a fade of La Bien Aimée Super Sock yarns, in Vespiopeia, Jasper, Tidal Sand, The North, and Elise. A4FA2921-878E-4F9B-A55C-D9A070FB3612_1_105_c

 09CE3898-AF87-4B30-AA3B-77697B528403_1_105_c 

I came home with a fingering weight, super-wash array of yarn. But I realized I didn't want to knit a shawl, which is what most of the patterns for this yarn would fit. Time passed. I knit other things. And I got the idea of knitting a cardigan, and using Lamb and Kid's Birdie yarn as a carry-along, both to blend the colors, and to give the fine superwash yarns some body. I'd knit a cardigan, in the same shape as my favorite Pressed Flowers Cardigan. 

Last spring, my sister and I visited our dear friend who lives on Bainbridge Island. She's a knitter, so it wasn't hard to ask for a trip to Lamb and Kid. I chose the color Scout in the Birdie yarn, to go with my La Bien Aimée  yarn.

Untitled

Last summer, I knit a couple of swatches with my yarn, to prepare for Julie Robinson's sweater design class at Shakerag Knitting Get-Away. I didn't design the sweater at that time, but I got lots of good tips, and encouragement from my classmates who loved the swatch with the two yarns together.

So eventually, I sat down with the schematic for Amy Christoffer's Pressed Flowers, my actual cardigan, my swatch and my calculator. I also did a little re-calculating part-way through the body, when I realized my working gauge may have shifted a bit. I faded the colors from dark at the bottom to lightest at the shoulders, with Elise, the near solid, as the ribbing.

Untitled

And this spring, on our trip to Switzerland, I stopped at a amazing art, yarn, sewing, crafts, and costume store in Lucerne, and bought some wonderful buttons. 

Untitled

And in the end, I got this great sweater!  

I (almost) can't wait for Fall. I love my sweater. I'm kind of proud of myself.  

Amsterdam 

  • mostly designed by ME
  • to the schematics of the Pressed Flowers Cardigan by Amy Christoffers, with shorter sleeves for shorter arms.
  • La Bien Aimée Merino Super Sock, in colors Vespiopeia, Jasper, Tidal Sand, The North, and Elise. 75% superwash merino, 25% nylon, 465 yd per 100 g. One skein of each color. Lots leftover. 
  • Lamb and Kid Birdie, color Scout (4 skeins) 74% Alpaca 20% Silk. 328 yds per 50g
  • On US 5 needles (3 for ribbing, I think)

 

Comments

  1. This is one gorgeous sweater! I love how knitting the cardigan you really wanted came to fruition, slowly but surely. I hope you wear your Amsterdam/Bainbridge Island/Switzerland sweater in good health and get loads of enjoyment from it. You deserve to be proud!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous, Pam! Both the sweater and the story! May this sweater get lots of wear... and an abundance of praise!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

If you aren't signing in with your google account, would you mind leaving your name (at least a first name?) Thanks.

Popular Posts