Mason-Dixon Cooking

Ann and Kay have a call out for recipe box photos. Since it's old year's/new year's time, and I really am not good at retrospectives, or ten bests, I thought I'd play along.

Recipe Box
This is my main recipe box, though to be honest, many of my current recipes are in a notebook. I'm playing "by the rules" and haven't tidied it up, as is obvious by this picture. It was painted by a friend of my mom's (of the family really) as a wedding shower gift for me over 20 years ago. It's somewhat the worse for wear -- I think there was an unfortunate accident with water some years ago.

This is one of the best recipes in the box:
Recipe Box
Recipe Box
Let me tell you, make these for someone's birthday in the third grade, and you'll still be sending them to school when he's 18. Trust me, I speak from experience.

I have re-copied this recipe card, but I was happy to discover that the well-loved original still exists.

If you can't make your way through the chocolate smudges, this is it:

Black-bottom cupcakes
Part 1:
1 1/2 C flour
1 C sugar
1/4 C cocoa
1 T vinegar
1 t baking soda
1 C water
1/2 C oil
1 t vanilla
1/2 t salt

Part 2:
1 C (8 oz) cream cheese (I personally think you get the best results NOT using low or non-fat versions) REALLY
1/3 C sugar
1 egg, unbeaten
1/8 tsp salt
6 oz. (1 cup) chocolate chips.

For part one, mix all ingredients and beat well. For part 2, beat together all but chocolate chips, then stir them in. Fill 18 cup cake lines half full with batter from part 1. Top each with a tablespoonful (or so, till it's all gone) of the cream cheese mixture. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.

Comments

Popular Posts