Accidentally next door . . .

to Knot Another Hat. I know it's hard to believe. I'll admit that I had every intention of keeping Knot Another Hat on our itinerary this weekend, but I hadn't realized the hotel I'd found was just two doors down. If you like quaint old hotels, I recommend The Hood River Hotel. Very nice. And of course, there's a great yarn store just a couple of doors east.

But enough about hotels -- yarn is what we're here to talk about. I came home with:
IMG_0355.jpg
some beautiful Handmaiden Casbah Yarn, Safari colorway. For one MORE pair of garter stitch gloves. My mother-in-law admired the ones I was knitting (the blue-ish pair) and I decided that she has a pair coming for her birthday. I would tell you that my mother-in-law likes surprises, but I decided to get her reaction to the yarn. It was rather a revelation, since her response was more like mine would be (me, who doesn't enjoy surprises) than I thought. She likes the yarn, and she's going to enjoy looking forward to the gloves. Double good.

I also bought yarn for the cover sweater on the latest Vogue Knitting, Spring/Summer 2009.
IMG_0358.jpg
This is Blue Sky Alpacas Skinny Dyed Cotton, in gravel, rather than the clay color the pattern calls for. Nichole, who was working at Knot Another Hat, suggested that while the clay color was neutral, it might not be so flattering - and having light sallow (pale olive?) skin, I know beiges can be trouble. If I would have been asked to name this color, it would be called gray sage. The folks at KnitPixie call it a warm grey, but I see green tones. It's a mid-tone neutral, like the clay, but will work better for me, I think & hope. There's a nice video of the Botanica Medallion Cardigan (and many others) from this issue here.

Comments

Popular Posts