Sometimes I sew

 For a long time I've admired Alabama Chanin sewing projects. I think I first learned about Natalie Chanin and her very hand-crafted designs on Modern Daily Knitting.  Alabama Chanin pieces can be purchased already made, or you can make them yourself, from a kit, or using one of the books Natalie Chanin has written to share her process.  Almost any way you choose, you will have a hand-made garment, and you will have invested heavily in time, or money, or both.

So for a long time, I just lurked on the edges of The School of Making. But the day came that I had a coupon, a little birthday money, and kits for this shirt came out.

Untitled

Untitled

The words on the shirt are from a Roseanne Cash song, from the River and the Thread album.

I love the song, I like birds, and I'd wanted to try an Alabama Chanin project.

I loved the process. I loved the hand sewing. And this project was just about the right amount of fussy for a first-timer. 

There were two problems - first of all, sizing. I first ordered an XL to give myself a little ease, though my body measurements would indicate a L. But when I opened my kit, I realized this shirt was designed with negative ease. I really didn't want a shirt that had to stretch to fit my body. Though they didn't have to, the folks at AC agreed to exchange my shirt for an XXL. Even after that, you can see that though the shoulders are a little big, the shirt itself just fits. I even added gores at the side, because I still wasn't happy with the fit through the waist and hips. And to be fair, my hips are not proportional to my bust, according to standard sizing.

Untitled

And then there was the color. This I knew from the beginning. Beige-y colors are not great on me. So after completing the shirt, and not wearing it, and not wearing it, I decided to gamble. I dyed my shirt, or rather over-dyed it. I used Jacquard iDye in color 429, Gunmetal. It's an upgrade (I think) from RIT dye, but is similar in that it's designed for easy home use. I did prep with a synthropol type wash, but otherwise just used hot water in my washing machine at home. The white and beige fabrics took the dye differently. The screen print and fabric paint didn't take any dye. The embroidery stayed dark. And the sewing thread fell somewhere in between. I couldn't be happier with how it turned out, though the color is more blue and less gray than I expected.

Untitled

And now I wear my shirt, for fun, in public. 

IMG_0400

Bird on Branch T-shirt - from an Alabama Chanin kit, made by me.

Comments

  1. I really love your shirt, Pam! I have been totally smitten with all things Alabama Chanin for a long time, and have made a few pieces for myself. But . . . it turns out I never actually wear them! I think I like the LOOK of them more than the fit/wearing of them. (Or something.) Anyway. I'm so happy to see you wearing yours . . . in public and for fun! XO

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts