Meanwhile, last Christmas

While I continue to knit the sleeves of the Central Park Hoodie, and the second Voodoo Wrist Warmer, I'll shift your attention to some previous projects. I think they're more interesting than the slow but steady progress I'm making.

Last Christmas I made this sweater for my son. This picture was taken after it was finished, which was early in January. It's the second sweater I've knit for him using Meg Swansen's A Family of Raglans pattern, originally from Woolgathering, which is now available as a "spun-out" design (page down to #45). I used Blackwater Abbey yarn in Dark Slate, trimmed with Autumn. Their web site shows the complexity of the colors better than this picture.

This was his earlier version of a this sweater, which was made with some old Swa Laine yarn that I had bought for another purpose. As you can see, one of the good things about this pattern is that it's a blank canvas -- like many of Elizabeth Zimmermann/Meg Swansen's designs, it's more of a recipe than a pattern anyway. Besides being a great basic style, knitting this sweater was a chance to become more of a thinking knitter.

The hat is adapted from Tychus from Knitty.com.

The original pattern had 5 panels instead of 4 (by accident, don't ask) and used doubled acrylic yarn. I used only one strand of the leftover Blackwater Abbey Yarn. For Christmas this year, I'm thinking about knitting this hat in "school colors". If you need a quick and easy hat, this is a good choice.

Comments

Popular Posts