What I've been reading

I finished An Unfinished Life by Mark Spragg. When I picked up this book at the library, based on a Powell's "Daily Dose" recommendation, I didn't realize that the story has also been made into a movie which stars Robert Redford, Morgan Freeman, and Jennifer Lopez. Some critics of the movie and the book have called the story predictable, and derivative. And I suppose I'd agree, in a sense. But since this is the sort of story I like, told very well, I would still recommend this book to another reader who likes a certain kind of warm-hearted story in a western setting. I loved Plainsong, and Peace Like a River. This is that sort of book. Perhaps not as astoundingly good as they are, but very good.

Now I'm reading Chicks with Sticks: It's a Purl Thing by Elizabeth Lenhard. My daughter found this book at the library and was so excited to give it to me (a book about girls who knit!) that I had to read it. And I'll finish it. I should tell you that I am, as you know, a knitter, and as you might not know, a Christian. But what I dislike about this book is what I dislike about cheesy Christian fiction. It preaches. It's a cute story about four girls who discover knitting, which becomes a basis for their friendship. But to read this book, you'd think knitting could replace good parents, religion, meditation, and good nutrition. That said, if you know a 12-15 year old who is a new convert to knitting, she might enjoy this book.

Comments

Popular Posts